Mother Jones is looking for a friendly and efficient support person to keep our Washington, DC, office staff and systems operating at peak performance. A love of customer service and problem solving is essential to this role. This part-time position (25 hours per week) is based in our DC office. Some occasional travel to our New York City office will be required.
In this role, you’ll help Mother Jones provide critical support for key staff on the East Coast.
- Act as liaison with vendors and building management in DC office; manage vendor relationships;
- Greet and receive all guests at the reception area and direct them appropriately; uphold and enforce office security procedures;
- Handle incoming/outgoing mail and shipping;
- Purchase and maintain all office- and kitchen-related supplies for DC and NY offices;
- Assist with preparation of workspace, equipment, and paperwork for all new hires in the DC and NY offices;
- Assist human resources director and IT manager in responding to basic requests and questions from DC and NY staff;
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor, including organizational projects and general support of the East Coast offices.
- Superior customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills, as well as a commitment to accuracy, detail, and efficiency;
- The ability to maintain grace, good humor, and a pleasant and professional demeanor when interacting with staff, including when under pressure;
- The ability to take ownership of staff requests and resolve requests with a sense of urgency;
- Must be able to communicate quickly and with confidence;
- The ability to take direction;
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products;
- Human resources or desktop support experience is nice to have but not essential.
Mother Jones has a great benefits package that includes paid health, dental, and vision insurance, and three weeks of paid vacation during your first year, increasing to four weeks in your second year.
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please email a résumé and personalized cover letter to email@example.com with “Office Coordinator” as the subject line. No calls, please.