Writing a Will
If you have not already done so, we encourage you to write a will—whatever your objectives may be. A will can provide welcome guidance to family members who want to make sure that your wishes are carried out. Clarifying your interests and convictions now can provide reassurance to them and, if you choose, valuable assistance to the charities whose work you support. Regardless of your age, a will is a loving way to act responsibly.
When you remember Mother Jones in your will or estate plan, you’re ensuring that future generations will have the benefit of the same fearless, independent journalism that you’ve enjoyed. You will help investigative journalists keep the public’s attention focused on real issues. And you will be making sure that progressive values have a strong voice in the public debate.
Including Mother Jones in your will can be done very simply:
- You can give assets of any kind (cash, interest in a business, real estate, stocks and bonds, and insurance benefits).
- You can name an item to be given. (“I give my stock in ABC Corporation to Mother Jones …”)
- You can specify an amount for your gift. (“I give $10,000 to Mother Jones …”)
- You can give a percentage of your total estate. (“I give 15% of my estate to Mother Jones …”)
- You can take care of family members through your will and then give a percentage of the amount left after all specific gifts are paid from your estate. (“After the above-named gifts are made, I give 25% of the residual of my estate to Mother Jones ...”)
Mother Jones is published by the 501(c)3 nonprofit Foundation for National Progress. The proper designation for estate gifts made to Mother Jones is: “the Foundation for National Progress, a California nonprofit corporation.” The current address of Mother Jones is: 222 Sutter Street, Suite 600, San Francisco, California 94108. Our tax-ID number is 94-2282759.
You should discuss with your financial advisor which of these options best addresses your desire to provide for loved ones and for the charities you value. We are happy to work with you and your financial advisor throughout the process.
If you'd like to discuss the possibility of making a planned gift to Mother Jones or need any additional information, please contact Laurin Asdal, director of development, at (415) 321-1700 or email@example.com.
You can also request more information here.