Story editor—Washington, DC
You are a seasoned news professional equally at home in 10,000 characters and 140. You love the narrative feature, the deep documents dive, the timely political scoop and the on-the-fly blog post. You make investigative stories more lyrical, lyrical ones more political. You relish working in a fast-paced setting, breaking news—and explaining the news.
If that's you, come join a growing team of dedicated, innovative journalists who broke the 47 percent story and so much more. Our staff in Washington, DC, is expanding, and we're looking for a story editor to handle everything from breaking stories and interactives for our 24/7 news site to print features for our bimonthly magazine.
- Five years of editing experience in a multiplatform news environment conceiving, assigning, editing, and rewriting stories
- Headline and packaging magic
- The abillity to work well and fast in digital publishing and social media
- Mastery of the alchemy that turns "important" into "interesting"
- Familiarity with the challenges and opportunities of an ever-quickening news cycle
- Sense of humor and team spirit
Nice to have:
- Data visualization/non-narrative storytelling chops
- Background in environmental policy/technology/business
- Experience managing reporters
- Interest in (and ability to occasionally swing) own reporting/writing projects
This full-time staff position is based in our Washington, DC, office. Remote not an option. Competitive salary and benefits package.
Mother Jones' parent foundation, the Foundation for National Progress, is committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. Absolutely no calls. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com.