Adam Serwer

Adam Serwer

Reporter

Adam Serwer is a reporter at Mother Jones. Formerly a staff writer at the American Prospect, his writing has appeared in the Washington Post, the Root, the Village Voice, and the New York Daily News

Get my RSS |

Obama Administration Says President Can Use Lethal Force Against Americans on US Soil

| Tue Mar. 5, 2013 1:55 PM PST
obama

UPDATE March 7 4:12 PM EST: Attorney General Eric Holder sent a second letter to Senator Rand Paul on Thursday clarifying the administration's views on the use of military force inside the United States.

Yes, the president does have the authority to use military force against American citizens on US soil—but only in "an extraordinary circumstance," Attorney General Eric Holder said in a letter to Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Tuesday. 

"The US Attorney General's refusal to rule out the possibility of drone strikes on American citizens and on American soil is more than frightening," Paul said Tuesday. "It is an affront the constitutional due process rights of all Americans."

Last month, Paul threatened to filibuster the nomination of John Brennan, Obama's pick to head the CIA, "until he answers the question of whether or not the president can kill American citizens through the drone strike program on US soil." Tuesday, Brennan told Paul that "the agency I have been nominated to lead does not conduct lethal operations inside the United States—nor does it have any authority to do so." Brennan said that the Justice Department would answer Paul's question about whether Americans could be targeted for lethal strikes on US soil.

Holder's answer was more detailed, however, stating that under certain circumstances, the president would have the authority to order lethal attacks on American citizens. The two possible examples of such "extraordinary" circumstances were the attack on Pearl Harbor and the 9/11 terrorist attacks. An American president ordering the use of lethal military force inside the United States is "entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront," Holder wrote. Here's the bulk of the letter:

As members of this administration have previously indicated, the US government has not carried out drone strikes in the United States and has no intention of doing so. As a policy matter moreover, we reject the use of military force where well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat. We have a long history of using the criminal justice system to incapacitate individuals located in our country who pose a threat to the United States and its interests abroad. Hundreds of individuals have been arrested and convicted of terrorism-related offenses in our federal courts.

The question you have posed is therefore entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no president will ever have to confront. It is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate under the Constitution and applicable laws of the United States for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States. For example, the president could conceivably have no choice but to authorize the military to use such force if necessary to protect the homeland in the circumstances like a catastrophic attack like the ones suffered on December 7, 1941, and September 11, 2001.

The letter concludes, "were such an emergency to arise, I would examine the particular facts and circumstances before advising the president of the scope of his authority."

In a Google+ Hangout last month, President Obama refused to say directly if he had the authority to use lethal force against US citizens. As Mother Jones reported at the time, the reason the president was being so coy is that the answer was likely yes. Now we know that's exactly what was happening. "Any use of drone strikes or other premeditated lethal force inside the United States would raise grave legal and ethical concerns," says Raha Wala, an attorney with Human Rights First. "There should be equal concern about using force overseas."

This post has been edited to include Paul's statement and the final line of Holder's letter.

Advertise on MotherJones.com

Senators Will Get to Know When Obama Can Kill Americans—But You Won't

| Tue Mar. 5, 2013 12:50 PM PST
Fake drone.

The White House has agreed to more widely share secret Justice Department memos justifying the targeted killing of American citizens suspected of terrorism, Senate intelligence committee chair Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) announced Tuesday.

The documents had become an issue in the Obama administration's push to have counterterrorism official John Brennan confirmed as the next director of the Central Intelligence Agency. "I am pleased the administration has made this information available," Feinstein said in a statement sent to reporters. "It is important for the committee to do its work and will pave the way for the confirmation of John Brennan to be CIA director." The committee is expected to vote on Brennan's confirmation Tuesday afternoon.

Until last month, the legislators charged with overseeing United States intelligence operations had not been allowed to read the memos. But then, on the eve of John Brennan's confirmation hearing, senators were allowed to see some of the documents—but were not allowed to share them with their staff. 

According to a Senate aide, committee staff (one aide per member) will now also be able to view the memos. That step is welcomed by Raha Wala, an attorney with Human Rights First. "Many congressional staff—including some that are lawyers—have the necessary expertise to evaluate the legal and policy claims being advanced in these memos," he says. "Oversight without their participation would be oversight in name only." Wala also says other committees, such as the Senate and House judiciary committees, should also be allowed access to the memos.

Following Feinstein's announcement, Sens. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Mark Udall (D-Colo.), and Susan Collins (R-Maine) released a joint statement saying they would now support Brennan's confirmation: "We are pleased that we now have the access that we have long sought and need to conduct the vigilant oversight with which the committee has been charged." Wyden had told the Daily Beast last week that he felt "very strongly that the intelligence committee has to have any and all legal opinions related to targeted killings before there is a committee vote." 

The three senators asked the Obama administration to be even more open: "The appropriate next step should be to bring the American people into this debate." Their statement also praised Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) for insisting that the Obama administration answer questions related to its claimed authority to use lethal force within the United States, and suggested that some answers would soon be made available. "We are particularly pleased that the administration will provide public, unclassified answers to questions about whether these lethal authorities can be used within the United States," the senators said. Paul's office told Mother Jones that they had received a written answer to one of his questions, but did not state whether he would withdraw his threat to filibuster Brennan's nomination.

Human rights advocates expressed satisfaction that the Obama administration has decided to be more forthcoming with its legal authorities regarding targeted killing, but pointed out that the issue the Senate was focused on—terror suspects who are American citizens—was a narrow one.

"As far as we know, these memos likely cover only one targeting decision—the targeting of Anwar al-Awlaki—in the hundreds that have occurred during the Bush and Obama administrations," Wala said. "This is an important step forward, but it's woefully inadequate to guarantee robust oversight of the targeted killing program."

Al Qaeda Hits Obama for Supporting Marriage Equality

| Fri Mar. 1, 2013 9:58 AM PST

Al Qaeda says the United States has another crime to add to its litany of atrocities: support for same-sex marriage. 

In the latest issue of Inspire, the Al Qaeda-produced English-language magazine that teaches readers how to cause traffic accidents, torch parked cars, and "make a bomb in the kitchen of your mom," the terrorist group goes after President Barack Obama for "evolving" on marriage equality. In an infographic titled "The Nation Standing on 'No Values," the magazine also goes after "gay congressman" Barney Frank, who is no longer a congressman. It also cites statistics showing American Catholics are less likely to attend Mass and are increasingly supportive of same-sex marriage.  

Here it is:

Al Qaeda is a strict "traditional marriage" outfit.

The image calls Frank a "symbol of the American dream," which appears meant to be insulting. Let us all tremble at the thought of the infinite masses who never thought about being a terrorist before they stopped to consider Obama shifting his position on same-sex marriage. 

Why bring this up at all? Al Qaeda "fundamentally believe[s] there is a moral decay because of Western cultural and social norms," says Aaron Zelin, a senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. "The issues of Western policy in the region loom larger for sure, but the socio-cultural issues are also important when one goes beyond the surface rhetoric."

There's no way to know if Al Qaeda is following the legal developments over same-sex marriage, but it's certainly fortuitous timing. On Thursday the Obama administration filed a brief to the Supreme Court urging the justices to strike down California's ban on same-sex marriage.

Hat tip: Will McCants

GOP Caves, Stops Blocking Violence Against Women Act

| Thu Feb. 28, 2013 11:21 AM PST
Congress passes the Violence Against Women Act.

On Thursday, following a heated debate on the House floor, lawmakers passed the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act. Republicans had held up the law for more than a year over provisions designed to protect undocumented immigrants, Native Americans, and members of the LGBT community. In a separate, earlier vote, the House rejected an alternative, stripped-down VAWA pushed by House Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor, instead embracing the bipartisan version of the bill the Senate passed last week.

The Senate version of the bill, however, was itself a modified version of Democrats' original bill, passed after Democrats acquiesced to Republican objections and removed a section that would have made more visas available to undocumented victims of domestic violence who help law enforcement prosecute their abusers. But the Senate's compromise bill wasn't good enough for the House Republican leadership, who introduced an alternate version that removed protections for members of the LGBT community and made it harder for tribal courts to prosecute non-Indian abusers.

Rights groups panned the House GOP leadership's version of the bill and pushed the House to approve the Senate version. For reasons that are still unclear, the House Republican leadership went ahead and allowed lawmakers to vote on both the Republican alternative and the bipartisan Senate version of the bill. The Associated Press reported that a letter from several Republican lawmakers to the House GOP leadership may have convinced the leadership they didn't have the votes to block the VAWA reauthorization again. The letter urged the Republican leadership to pass an inclusive version of VAWA that would "reach all victims and perpetrators of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, and stalking in every community in the country." 

Terry O'Neill, president of the National Organization for Women, argues that Republicans came back from the November elections knowing they would have to move on VAWA. "Elections matter," O'Neill says. "What happened between the 112th and the 113th Congress is that everybody in the country became sharply aware that the Republican Party has a problem with the issue of rape."

Thursday's vote was much closer than 2005, the last time the Violence Against Women Act was reauthorized. This year, the bill passed 286-138, with just 87 Republicans joining all 199 Democrats (one Democrat did not vote). In 2005, there were only four "no" votes

Tue Mar. 6, 2012 8:12 AM PST
Mon Mar. 5, 2012 3:07 PM PST
Wed Feb. 29, 2012 4:30 PM PST
Tue Feb. 21, 2012 9:27 AM PST
Thu Feb. 16, 2012 1:46 PM PST
Tue Feb. 14, 2012 4:35 AM PST
Thu Feb. 9, 2012 11:00 AM PST
Thu Feb. 9, 2012 9:25 AM PST
Tue Feb. 7, 2012 12:42 PM PST
Mon Feb. 6, 2012 8:05 AM PST
Fri Feb. 3, 2012 4:00 AM PST
Wed Feb. 1, 2012 8:46 AM PST
Thu Jan. 26, 2012 9:15 PM PST
Wed Jan. 25, 2012 9:25 AM PST
Mon Jan. 23, 2012 11:08 PM PST
Fri Jan. 20, 2012 2:58 PM PST
Fri Jan. 20, 2012 8:13 AM PST
Tue Jan. 17, 2012 10:51 AM PST
Wed Jan. 11, 2012 9:43 AM PST