Talk about MoJo rising! Rachel Maddow did us a huge solid and came to San Francisco to appear at a jam- and star-packed fundraiser for Mother Jones on Saturday, March 28. Before a sold-out crowd at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, she talked with Monika and me about everything from why women are closeted about being smart, to her impending interview with Colin Powell, what she'd ask Dick Cheney, Tweeting vs. blogging, her David Petraeus work anxiety dream, and why America needs to do more to ensure the future of serious investigative reporting and editing. Special props to Rachel for recognizing how newscasters depend on print reporting for the building blocks of their shows; "without the [MoJo DC bureau chief] David Corns of the world, there's no show. David Corn can do his job without me, but I can't do my job without him."
And if all that weren't fun and ego boosting enough, it was officially "Mother Jones Day" in San Francisco on Saturday (see proclamation after the jump)—whereby, according to SF Supervisor Bevan Dufty and California State Senator Mark Leno, nobody on staff could get arrested. Good thing, because at a reception before the big show, local mixologist extraordinaire Thad Vogler was making a killer signature cocktail, "The Maddow," and even those of us who had to get on stage and talk serious policy had a hard time saying no.
Rachel mixed it up with her adoring fans after the show, and everybody had an awesome time. Check out our exclusive videos, and (after the jump) the recipe to The Maddow and the Mother Jones Day proclamation.
10 Video Clips of Rachel Maddow in Conversation With MoJo Editors Clara Jeffery and Monika Bauerlein
1) The Venn diagram of Rachel: Entertainer, journalist, self-indulgent dork.
2) The show on Afghanistan, ratings be damned.
3) The reason America needs full time reporters and editors, not hobbyists.
4) Why she's not closeted about being smart.
5) The lowdown on Tweeting vs. blogging.
6) The David Petraeus work anxiety dream.
7) The drink she would have fixed Lincoln.
8) The reporters she trusts on the bailout.
9) The state of the 4th Estate.
10) The reason she's optimistic about the country's future.
Click Here to Launch a Photo Slideshow of the Evening.
Then mix yourself a Maddow* and go watch Rachel's show tonight.