10 Ways of Saying Republicans Have Gone Nuts
Hamsters, termites, runaway brides, and other colorful analogies for the congressional GOP.
"How many different ways are there to say that the Tea Party Republicans are both crazy and stupid?" wonders The American Prospect's Paul Waldman as the defund-Obamacare-or-shut-down-the-government showdown approaches. Answering that may be like counting how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop, but here are 10 colorful ways of filling in the sentence "Congressional Republicans are like…"
• "…a bunch of 3-year-olds playing with matches."
• "…skillful mechanics riding a runaway freight train with no one in the locomotive."
• "…a schoolyard bully who realizes that the kid he's picking on is smarter than he is and just humiliated him in front of the entire student body."
• "…a colony of termites, voraciously nibbling away at the foundations of Obamacare."
• "…the bride who has jilted all her previous grooms but has the audacity to be angry at the boyfriend who refuses to propose."
• "…Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."
• "…the fellow who bellies up to the bar, asking for just one more round of tax breaks for his buddies, while declaring, 'Put it on my tab.'"
• "...children, taking everything personally."
• "...Charlie Brown kicking the football."
• "...a hamster on a treadmill, just keep doing the same thing over and over."
Honorable mention: "John Boehner is like a preschool teacher who can't control his class, so he's letting the class eat Play-Doh, despite the fact that eating Play-Doh is going to make them sick, and he can't do anything about it."