I was supposed to be writing a wrap-up piece about the South Carolina Republican primary this afternoon, but an attack of writers' block led me to more inspiring territory: the compilation of the (mostly) complete music playlists of every candidate I've seen speak over the last two weeks, in New Hampshire and now South Carolina. Shazam: It's every political reporter's best friend.
This list is incomplete, and can change a lot depending on the candidate's audience or the whims of the artist (heaven forbid Rachel Platten decides to endorse Bernie Sanders). I don't ascribe any deeper meaning to these musical selections either, although suffice it to say there is a pretty big difference between Sanders and Hillary Clinton, and for that matter, between Donald Trump and everyone else.
See for yourself.
- Jill Scott, "Run, Run, Run"
- Mary J. Blige, "Real Love"
- Katy Perry, "Roar"
- Kelly Clarkson, "Stronger"
- American Authors, "Best Day of My Life"
- Bon Jovi, "We Weren't Born to Follow"
- Pharrell, "Happy"
- Rachel Platten, "Fight Song"
- Simon and Garfunkel, "America"
- Janelle Monae, "Tightrope"
- Pearl Jam, "Lightning Bolt"
- Bob Marley, "Revolution"
- Disco Infernor, "The trammps"
- Muse, "Uprising"
- John Lennon, "Power to the People!"
- Tracy Chapman, "Talkin' bout a Revolution"
- Steve Earle, "The Revolution Starts Now"
- Neil Young, "Rockin' the Free World"
- Florida Georgia Line, "Round Here"
- Zak Brown Band, "Jump Right In"
- Darius Rucker, "Wagon Wheel"
- Jake Owen, "Anywhere With You"
- Diekes Bentley, "Free & Easy"
- Rodney Atkins, "It's America"
- John Fogerty, "Centerfield"
- Eric Paslay, "Friday Night"
- Kid Rock, "Born Free"
- Montgomery Gentry, "This is My Town"
- Darius Rucker, "Homegrown Honey"
- MercyMe, "Greater"
- Eric Church, "Springsteen"
- Elton John, "Tiny Dancer"
- The Beatles, "Hey Jude"
- The Beatles, "Revolution"
- Rolling Stones, "Can't Always Get What You Want"
- Rolling Stone, "Sympathy for the Devil"
- Rolling Stone, "Brown sugar"
- Adele, "Rolling in the deep"*
- Twisted Sister, "We're not Gonna Take It"
- Danude, "Sandstorm"
- Of Monsters and Men, "Dirty Paws"
- Blake Shelton, "Hillbilly Bone"
- Billy Currington, "That's How Country Boys Roll"
*Pulled at request of the artist.