You really want to stimulate the economy? Quit whining and start
partying. Need inspiration in these dark and gloomy economic times?
Join the Krewe du Vieux,
New Orleans satirical marching organization, as they jump start the
Mardi Gras season with floats themes such as the Salute to Trickle
Down Economics and Investments in Stocks & Bondage. The rest are
just are just too titillating to mention. The group is known for
raunchy floats: think giant sperms and lady parts. Mardi Gras season
officially starts with the Krewe du Vieux parade today and climaxes
(yes, I said it) February 24.
And keep this in mind: Louisiana is one of three states in the country that recorded job gains, not losses, in December, so they must be doing something right.
If you cant make it all the way down to New Orleans, stop by your
local watering hole and order a sazerac. The official cocktail of the
city of New Orleans pre-dates the Civil War. Heres the recipe from the
Sazerac Company of New Orleans:
1. Pack an old-fashioned glass with ice.
2. Add three dashes of bitters (Peychauds preferred) and one sugar cube in a second old-fashioned glass.
3. Add one and a half ounces of rye whiskey to the bitters and sugar glass.
4. Dump the ice from the first glass and coat it with Herbsaint, an anise-flavored liquor.
5. Pour the rye, bitters, sugar mixture into the chilled class and garnish with lemon peel.
The concoction will stimulate your mouth, if nothing else, and with national unemployment at 7.6% please tip your wait staff.