Michael Mechanic and Nikki GloudemanMay/June 2009 Issue
1. A key reason the Taliban banned opium production for the 2001 season was:
2. To which Hollywood action hero does a movie mujahideen deliver the following line: "Alexander the Great try to conquer this country...then Genghis Khan, then the British. Now Russia. But Afghan people...They never be defeated!"
3. In the first half of 2008, how many more bombs and missiles did the US and NATO use in Afghanistan than in Iraq?
4. What percentage of seats in Afghanistan's provincial councils are held by women?
5. In 2008, when 6,593 Afghans were asked, "What's the biggest problem in your local area?" the most common response was:
6. Under the Taliban, men's beards were required to be at least how long:
7. Just 8 percent of Afghans support the Taliban. What percentage say its leaders should get to hold office if only they agree to disarm?
8. "The United States government is wholeheartedly committed to the full participation of women in all aspects of Afghan society."
9. "We are not going to be able to rebuild Afghanistan into a Jeffersonian democracy."
10. "I've never understood why we give a damn whether a girl goes to school in Afghanistan."
11. "We do know [bin Laden] is either in Afghanistan or in some other country or dead."
12. "If we set ourselves the objective of creating some sort of Central Asian Valhalla over there, we will lose. Because nobody in the world has that kind of time, patience, or money."
Michael Mechanic is a senior editor at
Mother Jones. For more of his stories, click here. You can stalk him on Twitter here.
Mother Jones is a nonprofit, and stories like this are made possible by readers like you. Donate or subscribe to help fund independent journalism.
Copyright ©2016 Mother Jones and the Foundation for National Progress. All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Service
We noticed you have an ad blocker on.
Support nonprofit investigative reporting by pitching in a few