Anthology of Rap: The Unofficial Index
The much anticipated release of The Anthology of Rap has gotten off to a bit of a rocky start. The project, which features a foreword by Henry Louis Gates Jr., has drawn criticism for the abundance of transcription errors—and in hip-hop, the difference between the right word and the almost-right word is the difference between, well, George Wallace and Gerald Wallace (an actual mistake in the book). That's a shame because, errors aside, it's an awesome compilation: 920 pages of some of the baddest, phattest, flyest tracks ever dropped.
And that, invariably, means plenty of preposterous pop-culture references. Unless you rolled with Junior M.A.F.I.A. back in the day or hail from Queensbridge, you're probably not included in this book. But plenty of totally random people (and things! and historical events!) are. So what exactly shakes like Smucker's grape jelly? What's the best way to hijack a space shuttle? And what does Nas really think about Calvin Coolidge? We've got you covered. Here's our unofficial, abridged political and pop-culture Anthology of Rap index.
Attila the Hun
- is not LL Cool J, p. 216
- mad phatness of, p. 312
Booth, John Wilkes
- as second-grade icon, p. 358
Bush, George H.W.
Bush, George W.
- a natural ass, p. 699
- did 9/11, p. 751
- not a Seminole Indian, p. 715
- treatment of blacks relative to treatment of trash, p. 699
- suspected black ancestry of, p. 469
- as matter of life and death, p. 180
- as funky dope musician, p. 136
- as serial killer, p. 389
- says "Ice Cube's a pimp," p. 426
- empty apologies of, p. 470
- as metaphor, p. 361
- hijacking of space shuttle with a .38, p. 389
- wickedness relative to Ghostface Killah, p. 548
Nobel Peace Prize
- lack of respect for science or intellect, p. 159
- similarities to Kool Moe Dee, p. 204
- complexion of relative to a Maybach, p. 438
- dead, p. 427
- dead, with sprinkles, p. 428
- fuckin' dead, p. 428
- efforts to combat Chinese expansion, p. 755
- Eric B. is, p. 170
- future employment as, p 391
- impeachment of, p. 255
- is black, p. 715
- is half-white, p. 438
- never did shit for me, p. 716
- sexual intimacy with, p. 298
- getting high, p. 424
- shafting like, p. 223
- odds of showing compassion relative to odds that Immortal Technique will stop blastin', p. 655
- shaking jelly like, p. 530
- respiratory struggles of, p. 635
- is Method Man, p. 539
- as artificially flavored equivalent to Ol' Dirty Bastard's rhymes, p. 545
Truman, Harry S.
- dapper as a rapper, p. 135
- decision to spend dough on hoes instead of, p. 717
Click here for more Music Monday features from Mother Jones.