Note: We are not currently hiring for this position. Please check back in early 2010.
Are you a social networking whiz? A news junkie? Mother Jones magazine is looking for a communications intern with a passion for politics and progressive media to extend the reach of our investigative coverage and position the independent nonprofit at the forefront of the national media landscape. The perfect fit for this position will be resourceful, strategic, and someone able to use his or her solid social media savvy to maximize the impact of the multimedia news outlet that is Mother Jones.
Duties include using social media to promote Mother Jones, drafting outreach materials, researching strategic possibilities for reaching new audiences, outreach to nonprofits, politicians, and other stakeholders, and database work. This internship emphasizes learning the tools necessary to become a multimedia journalist in the rapidly evolving media world. You will gain experience in writing, research, multimedia outreach, and a depth of knowledge about the operations of a national multimedia news organization.
Desired Skill Set:
- Strong writing, verbal, and interpersonal social skills
- Savvy and experience with social networking tools
- Previous experience in publishing a plus
- Grace under pressure, courage and humor, creativity and flexibility
- Excellent self-starter with the ability to work effectively alone or in a team environment
- $1,000 per month stipend (fellowship stipend is $1,400 per month)
- 7.5-day vacation allowance