Update, November 25, 7:50 a.m. EST: A third man is now in custody. The Star Tribune reports the three suspects are Allen Lawrence “Lance” Scarsella III, Nathan Gustavsson, and Daniel Macey. Police say the Hispanic man arrested earlier in the day was released after officials determined he was not at the scene of Monday’s shooting.
Update, November 24, 2:28 p.m. EST: Police have arrested two suspects in connection to Monday night’s shooting in Minneapolis. The Guardian reports the two suspects are a 23-year-old white man and a 32-year-old Hispanic man.
The police are searching for three gunmen who reportedly shot five people during the continued Black Lives Matter demonstration in Minneapolis on Monday, where demonstrators are protesting the November 15 killing of an unarmed black man by the police.
5 people shot near 4th PCT, transported to hospital w/ non-life threatening injuries. OFCs searching for 3 white male suspects.
— Minneapolis Police (@MinneapolisPD) November 24, 2015
Officials say the victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
A witness told NBC News that the gunmen arrived at the scene “yelling and being aggressive and it was obvious they were here to antagonize and confront people.” At least one of the suspected gunmen was seen wearing a mask.
Black Lives Matter protester Miski Noor told the Star Tribune that the group was attempting to escort the men away from the demonstration, when gunfire broke out. On Facebook, the activist group described the gunmen as “white supremacists.”
“I don’t want to perpetuate rumor,” Rep. Keith Ellison, whose son has been participating in the protests, said in response to Monday’s shooting. “I’d rather just try to get the facts out. That’s a better way to go. I know there’s a lot of speculation as to who these people were. And they well could have been, I’m not trying to say they weren’t white supremacists. But I just haven’t been able to piece together enough information to say with any real clarity.”
— Doualy Xaykaothao (@DoualyX) November 24, 2015
Monday marked the eighth night of ongoing protests for Jamar Clark, the 24-year-old black man who was fatally shot by the police earlier this month. On Sunday, the Department of Justice announced it was opening a federal investigation looking into Clark’s death.
— Sam Richards (@MinneapoliSam) November 24, 2015
In the wake of Monday’s violence, Clark’s family has called for an end to the protests.
“Thank you to the community for the incredible support you have shown for our family in this difficult time,” Clark’s’ brother Eddie Sutton said in a statement released on Tuesday morning. “We appreciate Black Lives Matter for holding it down and keeping the protests peaceful. But in light of tonight’s shootings, the family feels out of imminent concern for the safety of the occupiers, we must get the occupation of the 4th precinct ended and onto the next step.”
Both a school walkout and march are still planned to take place as scheduled today.