I Watched An Armed Dakota Access Pipeline Employee Get Arrested After Entering Protesters’ Camp

A tense standoff near the site of yesterday’s confrontation at Standing Rock ends with arrest of DAPL security agent. Protesters then torched his truck.

A woman talks with an armed man who fled after entering anti-pipeline protesters' camp near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. Ryan Vizziones

An armed security agent employed by the company behind the controversial Dakota Access Pipeline was arrested Thursday after he was caught entering the camp of activists protesting near the Standing Rock Indian Reservation in southern North Dakota. After a car chase and a standoff during which he allegedly pointed his assault rifle at a local Sioux teenager, the man, whose ID indicated he was an employee of Dakota Access LLC, was arrested and handed over to the FBI.

A little after 5 p.m., protesters spotted a man driving down Highway 1806 in a white Chevy Silverado with what appeared to be an assault rifle in the cab, according to multiple eyewitnesses. The road is the main site of a conflict between local tribes, who want to halt construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline, and police, who had deployed two armored vehicles, tear gas, tasers, and shotguns firing plastic pellets to remove 300 protesters from the land earlier in the day.

Tribal members and their supporters jumped into two cars and chased the Chevy Silverado in the direction of a small reservoir and crossing called Backwater Bridge. The two cars forced the Silverado off the road, according to Dallas Goldtooth, an organizer for the Indigenous Environmental Network. The driver then got out of his car, brandishing an AR-15-style rifle and a 9mm pistol, says another witness, Jennifer Owyhee. He allegedly pointed the rifle at the head of one of his pursuers, according to witnesses. “You can’t kill all of us,” one participant told the man. “You’re just going to make things worse.”

It appears from the man’s ID badge and documents found in the truck that he is a Dakota Access Pipeline security employee.

The man then fled into shallow water. Protesters and tribal members tried to get him to drop his weapon. After a half hour of negotiations and arguments, the man refused to leave the water, according to witnesses including Ryan Vizziones, a photographer and activist. I watched as several people waded into the pool after the armed man. The photo above, shot by Vizziones, shows the man as he refuses to hand over his assault rifle.

According to the Morton County Sheriff’s Department, an unknown person “was shot in the hand” during the altercation and an investigation is underway. It’s not clear if the man fleeing through the water, or one of his pursuers, were shot, or if additional events may have led to the initial car chase.

After about 30 minutes, around 6 p.m., more than a dozen Bureau of Indian Affairs police cars entered the protest encampment. They disarmed the man without incident and took him into custody.

As the man was being taken to the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Police Department in Fort Yates, an unnamed person drove the Chevy Silverado a half mile up Highway 1806, close to where confrontations between protestors and police were still occurring. A swarm of several dozen protestors rifled through the dashboard. They found an ID badge bearing the armed man’s photograph. Avery White, a freelance photographer, took a photo of the ID after it was retrieved from the Silverado. “DAPL Security” is printed on the badge. “DAPL” stands for Dakota Access Pipeline. The protestors rifling through the car also found an insurance certificate whose holder is listed as Dakota Access LLC, based in Houston, Texas.

A log sheet for the truck shows that a man had checked the vehicle out at 8:30 that morning and had not returned it. Though the name of the man arrested by police has not been released yet, it appears from the ID badge and documents found in the truck that he is a Dakota Access Pipeline security employee.

After the documents were taken, protestors set the Chevy Silverado on fire.

Anti-pipeline protesters burned a pickup truck driven by an armed man who entered their camp. Wes Enzinna

The truck burns near the site of confrontations between protesters and police. Wes Enzinna

According to an officer at the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Police Department who confirmed the man’s arrest, he was picked up from Fort Yates by the FBI around 8 p.m. and taken to Bismarck, North Dakota, where he is currently being held. We are awaiting comment or more information from the FBI.


Mother Jones was founded as a nonprofit in 1976 because we knew corporations and the wealthy wouldn't fund the type of hard-hitting journalism we set out to do.

Today, reader support makes up about two-thirds of our budget, allows us to dig deep on stories that matter, and lets us keep our reporting free for everyone. If you value what you get from Mother Jones, please join us with a tax-deductible donation today so we can keep on doing the type of journalism 2019 demands.

We Recommend


Give a Year of the Truth

at our special holiday rate

just $12

Order Now

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.


We have a new comment system! We are now using Coral, from Vox Media, for comments on all new articles. We'd love your feedback.