The Company Building the Dakota Access Pipeline Just Inked the First “Trump Deal”

“Pipelines are going to be winners under Trump.”

Police shoot water at Dakota Access Pipeline protesters in freezing temperatures on November 20.Richard Tsong-Taatarii/ZUMA


In what’s being called the first “Trump deal,” Sunoco Logistics Partners has announced a nearly $20 billion merger with Energy Transfer Partners, the Dallas-based company that’s building the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). The move would consolidate two pipeline giants: ETP owns 71,000 miles of crude oil and natural gas pipelines in the United States and Sunoco is one of the country’s largest pipeline operators. Though ETP is the larger of the two, the deal has officially been designated as an acquisition by Sunoco.

Financial analysts believe this may be a sign of forthcoming moves in the oil and gas sector following Donald Trump’s election. According to CNBC host Jim Cramer, the merger will likely be the first of many “Trump deals” in the energy sector. “Pipelines are going to be winners under Trump,” Cramer said Monday. In a call with investors following the election, ETP’s CEO, Kelcy Warren, said he was “very, very enthusiastic about what’s going to happen with our country.”

On the campaign trail, Trump promised to roll back regulations on the fossil fuel industry and unleash “a treasure trove of untapped energy.” Warren, who will continue on as the CEO of the new pipeline company, gave more than $100,000 in support of the Trump campaign. Trump himself is an ETP stockholder.

Sunoco, an investor in the Dakota Access Pipeline, has been identified as its future operator. The pipeline’s investor page mentions that Sunoco owns a Nederland, Texas terminal that will process oil pumped through DAPL. According to a recent Reuters analysis of federal data, Sunoco spills crude more often than any of its competitors. It has been responsible for at least 203 known leaks since 2010.

Meanwhile, the protests against DAPL continue. Late Sunday night, police fired rubber bullets at protesters and doused them with tear gas and cold water—even as the temperature dipped to as low as 23 degrees. Seventeen people were reportedly hospitalized, including some suffering from hypothermia.

MORE HARD-HITTING JOURNALISM

In 2014, before Donald Trump announced his run for president, we knew we had to do something different to address the fundamental challenge facing journalism: how hard-hitting reporting that can hold the powerful accountable can survive as the bottom falls out of the news business.

Being a nonprofit, we started planning The Moment for Mother Jones, a special campaign to raise $25 million for key investments to make Mother Jones the strongest watchdog it can be. Five years later, readers have stepped up and contributed an astonishing $23 million in gifts and future pledges. This is an incredible statement from the Mother Jones community in the face of huge threats—both economic and political—against the free press.

Read more about The Moment and see what we've been able to accomplish thanks to readers' incredible generosity so far, and please join them today. Your gift will be matched dollar for dollar, up to $500,000 total, during this critical moment for journalism.

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate

We have a new comment system! We are now using Coral, from Vox Media, for comments on all new articles. We'd love your feedback.