Do you want to help investigative journalism survive—and thrive? Mother Jones, an award-winning independent news organization, is looking to hire a top-notch Accounts Payable/Accounts Receivable Coordinator to join our amazing administration team.
This position is located in our San Francisco headquarters.
The ideal candidate has a passion for independent nonprofit journalism, a strong work ethic, great communication skills, and exceptional attention to detail.
Accounts Payable Responsibilities:
- Manage high volume of invoice flow for all departments and fiscally sponsored projects, including ensuring all invoices are approved, accurately billed, coded, and input into the financial system
- Create and input check requests for submitted contracts/W-9s
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date AP vendor/client/customer files in compliance with the organization’s stated policies and procedures
- Act as accounts payable contact for the organization, fielding all vendor inquiries
- Process non-payroll EDD and independent contractor required filings (1099s, etc.)
- Reconcile monthly credit card bills
- Prepare and issue checks
- Expense monthly postage usage
Accounts Receivable/Billing Responsibilities:
- Post check deposits daily for all incoming cash received
- Post electronic deposits, PayPal and credit card deposits (review bank accounts daily, merchant accounts weekly)
- Post membership deposits weekly
- Billing for advertising (print & online), reprints/royalties, subtenants, independent newsstand distributors
- Send monthly aging reports to advertising department; review and respond to aging report results regularly to maintain reasonable outstanding balances
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date AP vendor/client/customer files in compliance with stated policies and procedures
- Serve as billing point of contact
- Provide relevant A/R and A/P audit documentation as needed
- Provide monthly reconciliation for Edit/Art issue expenses
- Run monthly department manager reports
- Run matching gift donation aggregator company reports as available
- Manage monthly miscellaneous journal entries as required
- Miscellaneous projects as assigned by senior staff accountant and supervisor
- BA/BS in business field a plus (or equivalent work experience)
- 2-3 years relevant experience in accounting and/or accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite and QuickBooks
- Knowledge of general accounting practices
- Excellent communication and time-management skills
- Excellent organizational skills and keen attention to detail
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send us a résumé and a personalized cover letter telling us why this is the org/job for you. Email both documents to jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com with “AP/AR Coordinator” as the subject line (PDF attachments only). No calls, please.