Mother Jones is looking for an ace copy editor to join our editorial team. This is a San Francisco-based, full-time gig and one that sometimes demands long and unpredictable hours. But it promises an unmatched experience in return: loads of fascinating content, a range of online and print responsibilities, and limitless opportunities to contribute to a dynamic, award-winning, independent investigative news outlet.
What’s the job, you ask? Some of the nitty-gritty:
- Copyediting all stories for both the magazine and MotherJones.com, as well as all original copy (fundraising, marketing, advertising, awards, etc.) meant for public consumption;
- Tracking and correcting all spelling, style, and grammar errors in the magazine prior to press, in coordination with the managing editor, with the goal of 100 percent accuracy;
- Pitching sassy heds and deks for online and print stories;
- Reviewing all magazine content prior to online publication for final signoff on style and formatting;
- Updating and maintaining the house style guide;
- Patrolling the website regularly for accuracy and consistency issues;
- Pitching and writing as time allows.
Are you the perfect fit?
The successful candidate will be skilled and unflappable even in the face of tight deadlines and a daunting to-do list. He or she will also be extremely well organized, able to multitask under time constraints with grace and accuracy, and accustomed to working for fast-paced publications both online and in print. Good copy editors are (thankfully) anal, obsessive people, but to work well here you must also possess a sense of humor. Duties include copyediting the bimonthly magazine and an average of 5 to 10 news stories a day. Two years’ experience, familiarity with AP style, and some experience with basic HTML are a must; familiarity with InDesign and experience navigating the front end of a content management system are also big pluses. So is talent at story editing or writing. For the copy editor who kicks butt at the core job and shows chops for other duties, this is a growth position.
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send your résumé and a personalized cover letter outlining why this is the org/job for you to jobs(at)motherjones(dot)com with “Copy Editor” as the subject line. No calls or office drop-ins.