Are you the kind of editor who loves both the fast scoop and the deep dive? Are you always hungry for new talent and new ideas? Do you strive to hone the craft of seasoned writers as well as mentor newer ones? Do you want to leave conventional wisdom and hot takes in the rearview mirror? Mother Jones is looking for a senior-level editor with a proven track record of acquisitions, idea generating, story editing, and project management to join our award-winning bicoastal newsroom. Candidates with executive and proven newsroom leadership experience are also encouraged to apply. This is a San Francisco-based position. Remote is not an option. Competitive salary and great benefits.
You’ll be part of a crew of kick-ass journalists who are equally at home in the deep-dive feature and the quick breaking news piece. Our team’s focus is the news behind the news—covering the issues everyone’s talking about, without regurgitating the same tired storylines. Our editors shape investigative projects into beautiful narratives and help reporters dog a story for months with iterative web pieces. With 8 million monthly uniques, millions of social followers, and an award-winning print magazine, we can ensure the work you usher into existence is widely seen. Plus, Mother Jones has a healthy, diversified business model that keeps us independent and a management team that understands hard work and driving ambition are not incompatible with sanity and work-life balance.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be the kind of person who can show up to a meeting with several good story ideas and clear thoughts about which staff writers or freelancers would be best to execute them
- Maintain a network of writers and sources who keep your well of ideas full
- Collaborate with colleagues on beat coverage and in-depth projects
- Bring years of proven experience with editing features—from 8,000-word magazine-style stories to GIF-filled web features—and talent at developing multimedia or data elements in addition to text
- Have writing chops that allow you to fix stories without the seams showing, and enthusiasm to experiment with multiple ways of telling stories (graphics, iterative, etc.)
- Enjoy nurturing a lively social-media presence for yourself, your writers, and the stories you work on
- Be good at managing up, down, and sideways, as well as juggling projects of different paces and urgencies
- At least six years of professional editing experience at news organizations
- Grace under pressure
- A sharp sense of the political landscape and news cycle
- Team spirit
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming workplace. We do not discriminate in our hiring based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send us a résumé and a personalized cover letter outlining why this is the place you want to work and what you bring to the table. Email both documents to jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com with “Senior Editor” as the subject line. No calls.