Mother Jones is looking for an experienced reporter to expand our coverage of immigration and immigrant communities. You should be ready to:
- Apply your strong research and writing chops to a full range of stories, whether short form or long, quick turnaround or in-depth
- Be a nimble writer, able to synthesize policy and human interest, to tell a story in ways that are fresh and evocative
- Develop and nurture a strong, diverse network of sources in a range of communities
- Leverage a lively social-media presence
- Collaborate with colleagues on beat coverage and in-depth projects
- Experiment with multiple ways of telling stories (video, audio, graphics, iterative, etc.)
- At least four years of professional reporting experience in a national context
- Experience covering vulnerable communities with empathy, depth, and integrity
- A sharp sense of the political landscape and news cycle
- Grace under pressure
- Team spirit
Multiple languages a plus.
This position can be based with Mother Jones’ teams in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, or Washington, D.C.
Salary will be competitive and based on experience.
Mother Jones is a growing, reader-supported nonprofit news organization dedicated to in-depth and investigative coverage of big, newsworthy stories. We have editors who can shape your investigative projects into powerful narratives or help you get fast-moving stories out in minutes. Our deep social reach ensures that your work will be widely seen. Plus, Mother Jones has a healthy, diversified business model that keeps us independent and stable, and a management team that knows that hard work and driving ambition are not incompatible with sanity.
Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to a diverse and welcoming workplace. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, union activity, physical or mental disability, AIDS/HIV status, on-the-job injuries, age, or any status otherwise protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply, please send us a résumé and a personalized cover letter outlining why you’re perfect for this job and vice versa. Email both documents to email@example.com with “Immigration Reporter” as the subject line. No calls please.