The journal Democracy has put together a package of short essays for its latest issue about the likely face of American politics in 2024. Most of the contributors focused on one or two big trends and how they’re likely to play out over the next dozen years, but I took a different tack. Instead I identified six big trends:
- America will keep getting older.
- If Obamacare survives the Supreme Court, the social welfare state of FDR and LBJ will be more or less complete.
- Economic growth is going to be slow.
- The fact of climate change will become undeniable.
- The Republican Party will continue getting whiter and the Democratic Party will continue getting browner.
- Computational horsepower will continue growing.
What does all this mean? Probably nothing good, but a bleak outcome isn’t inevitable. Click the link to read my guesses.