I asked MoJo staffers, our Facebook friends, and Econundrums readers to submit their green new year’s resolutions. Herewith, in no particular order, ten of my favorites:
1. Actually composting the veggies that melt into mush in the bottom of the veggie drawer instead of holding the bag by one corner and putting it in the trash. There is something about the grossness factor that just makes it hard to scrape them out of the bag…I compost everything else I should! -Emma L.
2. Finally getting my motorcycle license to save gas this summer! -Lucy W.
3. I just discovered that changing the reflectors on my stovetop cuts boiling time in half. Also, i’m pretty proud of the fact that i always flush my dog’s poop. -Giovanna P.
4. I’m gonna use the same water bottle for the rest of my life, I’ve decided. -Julie A.
5. Get even more creative with our composting. We now have 15,000 earthworms, and for 2011 we are getting our own chickens! -Pogo S.
6. When I’m driving somewhere, I’ll leave early so I don’t speed, saving gas. -Peter M.
7. I’m going to try not to use more than 10 plastic/brown paper grocery bags in the year, which means always carrying a reusable bag. -Khary B.
8. Save money by making some eco-friendly laundry detergent: 1 cup shaved castille soap, 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda. Use 1 teaspoon, and your clothes smell fresh right out of the laundry. It takes 10 minutes to make! -Leslie D.
9. No more poisonous household cleaners. The best cleaning solution I have ever used is a mixture of vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. That works on almost everything. For tough jobs like bathrooms, just sprinkle a little baking soda, then the spray, watch it fizzle, and voila! -Neeraj U.
10. I just follow my mother’s Depression-era dictum: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without! -Meg B.
And as for me? My backyard is priority number one. It’s been looking downright feral since the end of the summer. Then there’s my bike, which isn’t doing anyone any good sitting on the back porch. After yardwork and bike fixing, who knows? Chickens?
What are you going to do for the planet in 2011? Share your resolutions in the comments.