This story is developing, and being updated below.
Hooded gunmen carrying automatic weapons opened fire at the offices of French satirical publication Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, killing at least 12 people and seriously injuring 10. The Guardian is reporting that three attackers are still at large, after they were seen escaping in a car.
French President François Hollande said the shooting was “undoubtedly a terrorist attack.” France has since raised its terror alert to the highest level.
— Guardian news (@guardiannews) January 7, 2015
According to several news reports, the gunmen were heard shouting “we have avenged the Prophet Muhammad” as they stormed into the magazine’s offices armed with Kalashnikov rifles. Charlie Hebdo, a newspaper known for its caustic, no-holds-barred cartoons, has previously sparked ire from some Muslims for its satirical take on Islam, including several caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad. (The publication of the likeness of the prophet is forbidden under Islam). In 2011, the magazine was firebombed after publishing an issue “guest-edited” by the prophet.
President Barack Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel have both condemned Wednesday’s attack.
Several prominent cartoonists, including Jean Cabut and the magazine’s editor in chief, Stephane Charbonnier, were among those killed.
Since news broke of the attack this morning, the hashtag #JesuisCharlie has been spreading on Twitter in support of the victims. The US Embassy in France also changed their Twitter profile photo to include the hashtag.
— Mark Pullen (@markpullen) January 7, 2015
I am a Muslim, and I dislike the way they portraited our prophet. But NO! I never support an action harming a living, so #JeSuisCharlie .
— Hakan Özerdem (@hakanozerdem) January 7, 2015
— Guy Verhofstadt (@GuyVerhofstadt) January 7, 2015
— BBC Outside Source (@BBCOS) January 7, 2015
Cartoonists around the world have also shown their solidarity with Charlie Hebdo with powerful images:
— Francisco J. Olea (@oleismos) January 7, 2015
— jean jullien (@jean_jullien) January 7, 2015
— David Pope (@davpope) January 7, 2015
Update: Thursday, January 8, 2015, 8:30 a.m. EST: Two suspects believed to be behind the deadly Paris attack, Said and Cherif Kouachi, remain at large. A third suspect, Hamyd Mourad, surrendered to authorities.
— Jon Williams (@WilliamsJon) January 8, 2015