9 Killed in Mass Shooting at Historic Black Church in South Carolina [Updated]

The suspect, 21-year-old Dylann Storm Roof, has been apprehended.

A photo of the suspect in the Emanuel A.M.E Church shooting.Charleston Police Department

Fight disinformation: Sign up for the free Mother Jones Daily newsletter and follow the news that matters.


UPDATE: 6/18/15 2:30 p.m. ET: Here’s what we know so far about the people who lost their lives in the attack.

UPDATE: 6/18/15 11:34 a.m. ET: The suspected gunman, identified as Dylann Storm Roof, was arrested about 200 miles away from the site of the attack, in Shelby, North Carolina, according to the FBI and multiple news sources. Here are more details about him, including what his previous lawyer for a drug charge told Mother Jones.

UPDATE 6/18/15 2 11:00 a.m. ET: Police have identified the suspect as Dylann Storm Roof. He remains at large.

UPDATE 6/18/15 8:20 a.m. ET: According to Charleston police, six women and three men were killed in the attack. The identities of the victims have not been released, but reportedly among the dead is the church’s pastor, the Rev. Clementa Pinckney, who was also a Democratic state senator. A manhunt by federal and local law enforcement is currently under way for the shooter. A photo of the suspect was released earlier this morning by the Charleston police. According to Charleston police chief Greg Mullen, the suspect attended a prayer meeting at the church and stayed for nearly an hour before opening fire. Jeb Bush was scheduled to make a campaign appearance in Charleston on Thursday but canceled the visit following news of the shooting. “Governor Bush’s thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and families affected by this tragedy,” his campaign said in a statement. South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley released a statement on the shooting this morning, saying, “While we do not yet know all of the details, we do know that we’ll never understand what motivates anyone to enter one of our places of worship and take the life of another.”

[Original story begins below.]

A woman prays outside Emanuel AME Church shortly after the attack. David Goldman/AP

A devastating attack took place on Wednesday night at a historic black church in Charleston. From the New York Times:

A white gunman opened fire Wednesday evening at a historic black church in downtown Charleston, S.C., before fleeing, the police said, and nine people were killed. The Charleston Police Department said the shooting occurred at the Emanuel A.M.E. Church about 9 p.m.

Officials did not release information about possible victims. The police described the gunman as a clean-shaven white man about 21 years-old who was wearing a gray sweatshirt, bluejeans and Timberland boots.

According to the Post and Courier, Charleston police chief Gregory Mullen said at a press conference late Wednesday night, “I do believe it’s a hate crime.”

Most mass shooters in the United States have been white males, as our investigation of three decades worth of data shows. In most cases, the killers obtained their guns legally.

At least one other mass shooting was carried out in recent years at a house of worship, in August 2012 at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. And in April 2014 in Kansas City, a white supremacist opened fire in a Jewish retirement community, killing three.

As of early Thursday morning, the suspect in Charleston remained at large, and none of the victims had yet been publicly identified.

For more on mass shootings, and on the steep costs of gun violence in America, read our special investigations.

WE'LL BE BLUNT.

We have a considerable $390,000 gap in our online fundraising budget that we have to close by June 30. There is no wiggle room, we've already cut everything we can, and we urgently need more readers to pitch in—especially from this specific blurb you're reading right now.

We'll also be quite transparent and level-headed with you about this.

In "News Never Pays," our fearless CEO, Monika Bauerlein, connects the dots on several concerning media trends that, taken together, expose the fallacy behind the tragic state of journalism right now: That the marketplace will take care of providing the free and independent press citizens in a democracy need, and the Next New Thing to invest millions in will fix the problem. Bottom line: Journalism that serves the people needs the support of the people. That's the Next New Thing.

And it's what MoJo and our community of readers have been doing for 47 years now.

But staying afloat is harder than ever.

In "This Is Not a Crisis. It's The New Normal," we explain, as matter-of-factly as we can, what exactly our finances look like, why this moment is particularly urgent, and how we can best communicate that without screaming OMG PLEASE HELP over and over. We also touch on our history and how our nonprofit model makes Mother Jones different than most of the news out there: Letting us go deep, focus on underreported beats, and bring unique perspectives to the day's news.

You're here for reporting like that, not fundraising, but one cannot exist without the other, and it's vitally important that we hit our intimidating $390,000 number in online donations by June 30.

And we hope you might consider pitching in before moving on to whatever it is you're about to do next. It's going to be a nail-biter, and we really need to see donations from this specific ask coming in strong if we're going to get there.

payment methods

WE'LL BE BLUNT.

We have a considerable $390,000 gap in our online fundraising budget that we have to close by June 30. There is no wiggle room, we've already cut everything we can, and we urgently need more readers to pitch in—especially from this specific blurb you're reading right now.

We'll also be quite transparent and level-headed with you about this.

In "News Never Pays," our fearless CEO, Monika Bauerlein, connects the dots on several concerning media trends that, taken together, expose the fallacy behind the tragic state of journalism right now: That the marketplace will take care of providing the free and independent press citizens in a democracy need, and the Next New Thing to invest millions in will fix the problem. Bottom line: Journalism that serves the people needs the support of the people. That's the Next New Thing.

And it's what MoJo and our community of readers have been doing for 47 years now.

But staying afloat is harder than ever.

In "This Is Not a Crisis. It's The New Normal," we explain, as matter-of-factly as we can, what exactly our finances look like, why this moment is particularly urgent, and how we can best communicate that without screaming OMG PLEASE HELP over and over. We also touch on our history and how our nonprofit model makes Mother Jones different than most of the news out there: Letting us go deep, focus on underreported beats, and bring unique perspectives to the day's news.

You're here for reporting like that, not fundraising, but one cannot exist without the other, and it's vitally important that we hit our intimidating $390,000 number in online donations by June 30.

And we hope you might consider pitching in before moving on to whatever it is you're about to do next. It's going to be a nail-biter, and we really need to see donations from this specific ask coming in strong if we're going to get there.

payment methods

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our free newsletter

Subscribe to the Mother Jones Daily to have our top stories delivered directly to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate