Trump’s New Pick for the Joint Chiefs of Staff Was Accused of Sexual Assault. The Senate Looks Ready to Confirm Him.

General John Hyten’s accuser remained firm in her allegations following his confirmation hearing.

Gen. John Hyten appears before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, for his confirmation hearing to be Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Andrew Harnik/AP Photo

For indispensable reporting on the coronavirus crisis and more, subscribe to Mother Jones' newsletters.

On Tuesday, Donald Trump’s nominee for the nation’s second-highest ranking military officer, General John Hyten, began his confirmation hearing and was forced to respond to accusations that he had sexually assaulted a former aide. And based on the tone of Tuesday’s hearing, it looks like Senate Republicans are ready to ignore those allegations and confirm Trump’s nominee.

Last week, Colonel Kathryn Spletstoser publicly accused Hyten, who is currently head of the US Strategic Command, of sexual assault on multiple occasions while traveling together for work in 2017. 

According to an account Spletstoser provided to the New York Times, on one of their work trips, Hyten went up to her room and “kissed her on the lips while pressing himself against her, then ejaculated, getting semen on his sweatpants and on her yoga pants.” 

“If Gen. Hyten’s nomination moves forward despite me coming forward with this awful truth, it sends a very dangerous message to sexual assault victims across our military,” Spletstoser said in closed committee testimony obtained by Politico.

Despite, Spletstoser’s accusations, Senate Republicans, including Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.), who revealed earlier this year that she was raped by a superior officer while serving in the Air Force, forcefully pushed to confirm Hyten’s nomination. “The truth is that General Hyten is innocent of these charges,” McSally said. “Sexual assault happens in the military. It just didn’t happen in this case.”

Hyten has denied Spletstoser’s accusations, telling committee members on Tuesday, “I want to state to you and to the American people in the strongest possible terms that these allegations are false.”

Democrats have also expressed some skepticism over Spletstoser’s allegations, but have continued to affirm that they should be taken seriously. 

“The allegations against you are serious,” said Democratic Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii). “and while we do not have corroborating evidence, the lack of it does not necessarily mean that the accusations are untrue.”  

“Each of us has to weigh all of the evidence and testimony and make our own judgment abut whether or not you should get this promotion,” added Hirono. 

Spletstoser, who was present at Tuesday’s confirmation hearing, told reporters that Hyten lied to the senators. “The bottom line is he lied about sexually assaulting me. He did it, he did it multiple times,” Spletstoser said according to Reuters

Hyten is not the first Trump official to be publicly accused of sexual assault or sexual harassment. Trump’s pick for the Supreme Court, Brett Kavanaugh, was accused of sexual assault by Christine Blasey Ford, and three other women. Ford testified against Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearing, but he was ultimately confirmed. Trump’s current pick to lead the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Barry Lee Myers has been accused of overseeing a pervasive environment of sexual harassment while he was CEO of Accuweather. And, of course, 22 women have accused Trump of sexual misconduct.

Thank you!

We didn't know what to expect when we told you we needed to raise $400,000 before our fiscal year closed on June 30, and we're thrilled to report that our incredible community of readers contributed some $415,000 to help us keep charging as hard as we can during this crazy year.

You just sent an incredible message: that quality journalism doesn't have to answer to advertisers, billionaires, or hedge funds; that newsrooms can eke out an existence thanks primarily to the generosity of its readers. That's so powerful. Especially during what's been called a "media extinction event" when those looking to make a profit from the news pull back, the Mother Jones community steps in.

The months and years ahead won't be easy. Far from it. But there's no one we'd rather face the big challenges with than you, our committed and passionate readers, and our team of fearless reporters who show up every day.

Thank you!

We didn't know what to expect when we told you we needed to raise $400,000 before our fiscal year closed on June 30, and we're thrilled to report that our incredible community of readers contributed some $415,000 to help us keep charging as hard as we can during this crazy year.

You just sent an incredible message: that quality journalism doesn't have to answer to advertisers, billionaires, or hedge funds; that newsrooms can eke out an existence thanks primarily to the generosity of its readers. That's so powerful. Especially during what's been called a "media extinction event" when those looking to make a profit from the news pull back, the Mother Jones community steps in.

The months and years ahead won't be easy. Far from it. But there's no one we'd rather face the big challenges with than you, our committed and passionate readers, and our team of fearless reporters who show up every day.

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate

We have a new comment system! We are now using Coral, from Vox Media, for comments on all new articles. We'd love your feedback.