THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED
Position: Major Gifts Officer – East Coast, Full-time (37.5 hrs/wk)
Supervisor: Director of Development
For over thirty three years, Mother Jones has stood with one foot in the American tradition of courageous, independent investigative journalism and the other in the legacy of smart, effective, and progressive social change. Mother Jones engages people in solving some of the most pressing and urgent problems of our time. With paid magazine circulation of more than 230,000 (the largest progressive, independent magazine in the United States) and web traffic that averages at 700,000 unique visitors a month, Mother Jones is making strategic use of new technologies and the opportunities presented by the current media environment to effect dramatic change and have an impressive impact on the world around us.
Purpose: Mother Jones seeks an entrepreneurial minded Major Gifts Officer to identify, cultivate and solicit major donors at the $5,000+ level. The Major Gifts Officer will serve as the East Coast representative of Mother Jones’ Development office and will spend most their time focused on the tri-State Area, with some additional work in key East Coast cities.
- Manages and grows a defined major donor portfolio that includes current, lapsed and prospective donors. He/she is responsible for personally soliciting gifts and building and maintaining strong relationships with individual donors and institutions;
- Increases the prospect donor base through the identification, evaluation, cultivation and solicitation of "suspects,” people who have not previously given to the organization;
- Develops solicitation strategies and giving opportunities that match donors’ interests. Utilize senior leadership in this area where appropriate;
- Works with the Director of Development in the San Francisco office to develop an annual budget of income and expense projections that reflect specific prospect cultivation and solicitation responsibilities;
- Produces events to cultivate donors, identify new prospects and increase the visibility of the organization;
- Identifies, cultivates and educates prospects for planned gifts;
- Identifies and recruits volunteers to support the major gift fundraising process;
- Other responsibilities as necessary as assigned by supervisor.
- Passion for the mission of Mother Jones;
- Strong commitment to and development background in public interest work ;
- 3-5 years of general development experience with minimum of two years experience in personal solicitation of donor prospects;
- Knowledge of the individual major donor market in NY, NJ, Boston and DC preferred;
- Ability to assess and address priorities efficiently, to take initiative and follow through on projects and to think strategically;
- Computer literate in MS Office, also preferred Raisers Edge;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; skilled at working alone or as a team member;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Willingness to travel;
- College degree preferred;
- Highly organized and detail oriented;
- Displays grace under pressure of multiple deadlines.
The terms of this job are covered under the terms of a collective bargaining agreement with Local 2103, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Mother Jones and its parent organization, the FNP, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming work place.
Absolutely no calls or drop-ins. To apply, send a resume and cover letter to: Emma Logan via jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com with “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line.