I know Trump has said this before, so technically it's hardly new. Still, I mean, it's...it's...oh hell:
I am going to be the greatest jobs president that God ever created. Remember that. Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 percent and 5 percent unemployment. The number's probably 28, 29, as high as 35. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent. Do you think if we had 5 percent unemployment, do you really think we'd have these gatherings?
Yeah, Trump "heard" 42 percent recently. You betcha. Trump hears a lot of things, sort of like Joan of Arc. In any case, I assume Trump keeps saying this because it goes over well with his audiences. Why might this be?
- Trump fans are really bad at arithmetic.
- Trump fans know an ungodly number of unemployed people in their immediate circle of friends.
- Trump fans are really eager to believe the government is lying to them.
- Trump fans don't actually know what unemployment is.
- Trump fans don't really have a clue what he's saying. It's just mumbo jumbo delivered with authority, and they love it.
I dunno. Could be all of the above, I suppose.