Until the election, we're bringing you "The Trump Files," a daily dose of telling episodes, strange but true stories, or curious scenes from the life of presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump.
The Donald isn't shy about letting people know he hates them, as many journalists can attest:
But reporters sometimes get even more than a touching personal note, as Vanity Fair's Marie Brenner found out. Brenner profiled Trump for the magazine in 1990, and the mogul hated the piece. "The story was, in fact, one of the worst ever written about me," he complained in his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback. He also noted that Brenner was an "unattractive reporter."
Trump got his revenge, though. Another Trump profile, this one in New York magazine, reported in 1992 that he "boasts about having poured a whole bottle of wine down Marie Brenner's back after she wrote a story on him that hated." Trump was still boasting five years later: The New Yorker's Mark Singer, who profiled the mogul in 1997, relates in his new book, Trump and Me, that Trump told him he'd gotten even "by pouring red wine down Marie's dress at a charity dinner."
This being Trump, the exact details are bit hazy. When the Daily Beast asked Brenner about the incident last year, she had some quibbles. "It wasn't a bottle, actually—it was a glass," she said. "I didn't even notice it was happening, because like everything with Donald, it was a stealth maneuver. It came from behind. It was a black jacket, so I'm still waiting for him to replace it."
Read the rest of "The Trump Files":
- Trump Files #1: The Time Andrew Dice Clay Thanked Donald for the Hookers
- Trump Files #2: When Donald Tried to Stop Charlie Sheen's Marriage to Brooke Mueller
- Trump Files #3: The Brief Life of the "Trump Chateau for the Indigent"
- Trump Files #4: Donald Thinks Asbestos Fears Are a Mob Conspiracy
- Trump Files #5: Donald's Nuclear Negotiating Fantasy
- Trump Files #6: Donald Wants a Powerball for Spies
- Trump Files #7: Donald Gets An Allowance
- Trump Files #8: The Time He Went Bananas on a Water Cooler
- Trump Files #9: The Great Geico Boycott
- Trump Files #10: Donald Trump, Tax-Hike Crusader
- Trump Files #11: Watch Donald Trump Say He Would Have Done Better as a Black Man
- Trump Files #12: Donald Can't Multiply 16 and 7
- Trump Files #13: Watch Donald Sing the "Green Acres" Theme Song in Overalls
- Trump Files #14: The Time Donald Trump Pulled Over His Limo to Stop a Beating
- Trump Files #15: When Donald Wanted to Help the Clintons Buy Their House
- Trump Files #16: He Once Forced a Small Business to Pay Him Royalties for Using the Word "Trump"