Interior Rejects Calls to Shut Down BP Atlantis


A whistleblower and an environmental group have asked a federal court to grant a temporary injunction to shut down BP’s other big Gulf drilling operation, the BP Atlantis, arguing that it is operating without crucial safety documents. In its court filing responding to the suit, the Department of the Interior argues that shutting down the platform is a decision only the agency can make—the court doesn’t have that power.

The agency rejects the legal challenge from Food & Water Watch and former BP contractor-turned-whistleblower Ken Abbott. The department also says it is conducting an “exhaustive investigation” in response to the request of members of Congress “to determine whether BP maintains a complete and accurate set of required engineering drawings for the BP Atlantis platform and its associated subsea components.” The results of that investigation “will determine whether any enforcement action (including the very relief requested by Plaintiffs—suspension of production) is appropriate.”

The Minerals Management Service was supposed to complete that review by the end of May, but the agency says that because of the Deepwater Horizon incident “the Atlantis investigation was temporarily suspended.” The court filing says that because of the “quantity of records and need for MMS to focus on responding to the Deepwater Horizon accident,” the investigation is only about 10 percent complete at this time, and should be finished in the next three months.

But in a statement on Monday, Food & Water Watch executive director Wenonah Hauter accused the agency of “dragging its feet” in attending to the red flags at the BP Atlantis. “Their inability to close a rig that is operating without any evidence of safety, especially in light of the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe, has led us to conclude that Secretary Salazar is serving oil interests, not the public interest.”

$500,000 MATCHING GIFT

In 2014, before Donald Trump announced his run for president, we knew we had to do something different to address the fundamental challenge facing journalism: how hard-hitting reporting that can hold the powerful accountable can survive as the bottom falls out of the news business.

Being a nonprofit, we started planning The Moment for Mother Jones: A special campaign to raise $25 million for key investments to make Mother Jones the strongest watchdog it can be. Five years later, readers have stepped up and contributed an astonishing $23 million in gifts and future pledges. This is an incredible statement from the Mother Jones community in the face of the huge threats—both economic and political—against the free press.

Read more about The Moment and see what we've been able to accomplish thanks to readers' incredible generosity so far, and please join them today. Your gift will be matched dollar for dollar, up to $500,000 total, during this critical moment for journalism.

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate

We have a new comment system! We are now using Coral, from Vox Media, for comments on all new articles. We'd love your feedback.