Trump Administration Denies Considering Use of National Guard for Deportations

But Spicer reportedly can’t rule out that the idea was discussed.

Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP Photo


The Department of Homeland Security on Friday denied reports that the Trump administration is considering using as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to detain undocumented immigrants living in the United States. “It’s incorrect,” department spokesman David Lapan said in an email. “The Department is not considering mobilizing the National Guard for immigration enforcement.”

On Friday morning, the Associated Press reported that it had obtained a draft memo outlining the proposal:

The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.

Four states that border on Mexico are included in the proposal—California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas—but it also encompasses seven states contiguous to those four—Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.

According to the AP story, the White House and DHS ignored the news organization’s requests for comment prior to publication. Nonetheless, once the story was released, the White House immediately insisted it had no plans to mobilize the National Guard to round up immigrants.

“That is 100 percent not true,” said press secretary Sean Spicer, according to a pool report. “It is false. It is irresponsible to be saying this…There is no effort at all to round up, to utilize the National Guard to round up illegal immigrants.”

Still, the pool report noted that Spicer “couldn’t categorically state that this was never a subject of discussion somewhere in the administration.” He added, “I don’t know what could potentially be out there, but I know that there is no effort to do what is potentially suggested…It is not a White House document.”

The alarming back-and-forth comes on the heels of widespread anxiety and confusion over the Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s recent deportation actions. False rumors and misinformation, particularly on social media, have caused deep uncertainty over what the administration’s enforcement plans actually are.

Below is a copy of the draft memo obtained by the AP:

 

This is a breaking news story. We will update as more information becomes available.

MORE HARD-HITTING JOURNALISM

In 2014, before Donald Trump announced his run for president, we knew we had to do something different to address the fundamental challenge facing journalism: how hard-hitting reporting that can hold the powerful accountable can survive as the bottom falls out of the news business.

Being a nonprofit, we started planning The Moment for Mother Jones, a special campaign to raise $25 million for key investments to make Mother Jones the strongest watchdog it can be. Five years later, readers have stepped up and contributed an astonishing $23 million in gifts and future pledges. This is an incredible statement from the Mother Jones community in the face of huge threats—both economic and political—against the free press.

Read more about The Moment and see what we've been able to accomplish thanks to readers' incredible generosity so far, and please join them today. Your gift will be matched dollar for dollar, up to $500,000 total, during this critical moment for journalism.

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate

We have a new comment system! We are now using Coral, from Vox Media, for comments on all new articles. We'd love your feedback.