Because Ed Markey (D-Mass.) never rests, the Energy and Environment Subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee is holding a rare recess hearing this morning on the oil spill.
The panel, "The BP Oil Spill: Accounting for the Spilled Oil and Ensuring the Safety of Seafood from the Gulf," features government and independent scientists, and will focus both on the question of where the oil went and how it may be affecting the food chain in the region. It's recess, so Markey and congressional staffers are probably going to be the only ones there for the hearing. But they do have a strong line-up:
- Bill Lehr, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, Office of Response and Restoration, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Paul Anastas, Ph.D., Assistant Administrator, Office of Research and Development, Environmental Protection Agency
- Donald Kraemer, Acting Deputy Director, Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration
- Ian MacDonald, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Oceanography, Florida State University
- Mike Voisin, Chief Executive Officer, Motivatit Seafoods, LLC
- Acy Cooper, Jr., Vice President, Louisiana Shrimp Association
- Dean Blanchard, President, Dean Blanchard Seafoods, Inc.
- Lisa Suatoni, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, Oceans Program, Natural Resources Defense Council
I'll be live-tweeting the hearing below: