Updated: Suspects Identified in San Bernardino Rampage


Update (12/3/2015, 11:50 a.m.): Speaking from the Oval Office on Thursday, President Barack Obama announced that the FBI had officially taken over the investigation looking into the San Bernardino shooting. He said it was “possible” the attack was terrorist-related, but that authorities had yet to determine the motivations behind it.

Update (12/3/2015, 7:40 a.m.): San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan identified the deceased suspects as Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik. In a press conference early Thursday morning, Burguan said Farook was a county public health official who left a Christmas party held at Inland Regional Center feeling “angry.” He later returned to the party with Malik and opened fire. 

Update (12/2/2015, 5:56 p.m.): At a press conference Wednesday night, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan confirmed that two suspects, a man and a woman, were shot and killed during a gun battle with the police hours after a mass shooting left at least 14 dead at a social services center. Both suspects were heavily armed with assault rifles and handguns, Burguan said, and dressed in “tactical gear.” Burguan added that a third person was seen fleeing from the shootout scene and was then detained by the police, though it remains unclear whether that person was involved in the shooting. Meanwhile, a residence in Redlands, California, is being scrutinized by the police after a black SUV carrying the suspects left that location earlier in the day.

Update (12/2/2015, 5 p.m.): The San Bernardino police say two suspects are “being dealt with” after a car chase and a shootout with a black SUV. Authorities now say the Southern California mass shooting has left 14 people dead and 17 others injured. Sergeant Vicki Cervantes, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino sheriff’s office, told the Los Angeles Times that another suspect may be at large.

At least 14 people are dead and 14 others are wounded after heavily armed gunmen opened fire inside a facility that assists people with developmental disabilities in San Bernardino, California, the police confirmed in a news conference Wednesday afternoon. The area remains under lockdown as a manhunt for up to three suspects continues.

The Guardian and the LA Times, citing police officials, report that authorities are searching for an SUV that was used to flee the scene. The police confirm that a suspect was seen wearing what is being described as “tactical gear.” The attackers used “long guns, not handguns,” San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said in the news conference. 

 

“We do not know where the suspects are,” Burguan told reporters. “At minimum we have domestic-type terrorism situation.”

This is a breaking news post. We will update as more information becomes available.

THANK YOU.

We recently wrapped up the crowdfunding campaign for our ambitious Mother Jones Corruption Project, and it was a smashing success. About 10,364 readers pitched in with donations averaging $45, and together they contributed about $467,374 toward our $500,000 goal.

That's amazing. We still have donations from letters we sent in the mail coming back to us, so we're on pace to hit—if not exceed—that goal. Thank you so much. We'll keep you posted here as the project ramps up, and you can join the hundreds of readers who have alerted us to corruption to dig into.

We Recommend

Latest

Sign up for our newsletters

Subscribe and we'll send Mother Jones straight to your inbox.

Get our award-winning magazine

Save big on a full year of investigations, ideas, and insights.

Subscribe

Support our journalism

Help Mother Jones' reporters dig deep with a tax-deductible donation.

Donate

Share your feedback: We’re planning to launch a new version of the comments section. Help us test it.