Celebrated for its "sharp, compelling blend of investigative long-form journalism, eye-catching infographics and unapologetically confident voice" Mother Jones was recently hailed as an "internationally recognized powerhouse.” Maybe you saw the Mitt Romney “47 percent” video? That was just one of the many pieces of groundbreaking, award-winning journalism MoJo has published in our 37-year history.
A publication of news, ideas, and ideals, Mother Jones provides its 4.5 million-strong audience a unique blend of revelatory scoops, innovative interactives, and engrossing narratives—while never losing sight of its mission to provoke and inform. In the past few years Mother Jones has grown by leaps and bounds, now employing over 80 full-time staff and fellows spread across offices in San Francisco, New York and Washington, D.C. Last year, Mother Jones was nominated for more than 40 top industry awards with 21 notable wins, led by the prestigious National Magazine Award and the George Polk Award for outstanding journalism.
Mother Jones is a special place but what sets us apart from other nonprofit media shops is our robust community of supporters—40,000 and counting—who choose to make a donation to the organization each year. And that’s where you come in.
You will be joining a small, dynamic, fast-paced fundraising team working to sustain and grow the Mother Jones operation and fulfill our mission. The development coordinator provides support for the fundraising staff and publisher by acting as a key point of contact for major donor inquiries and gift processing and by handling the general administration needs for the department.
• Work with the Development Manager, Advancement Program to coordinate all in-house fundraising mailings;
• Process in-house gift acknowledgements;
• Manage the Raiser’s Edge database;
• Assist the Development Manager, Foundations & Special Events with logistical support for donor events and board meetings;
• Assist the Development Manager, Foundations & Special Events in the creation and production management of written correspondence which includes fundraising materials (grant reports, letters of inquiry, etc.) and stewardship materials including (bimonthly stewardship letters, event invitations, etc.) and other written materials as needed;
• General administrative support for the Director of Development and Publisher;
• Maintain and organize departmental files, records and community space;
• Major donor correspondence (in & out), telephone calls and arrangements, filing, and related tasks;
• Assistance with board meeting materials, audit preparations and special projects;
• Involved in the preparation of simple spreadsheets, financial reports and finance department projects;
• Assist with donor and foundation research and data input
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A pleasant and professional phone manner, outstanding customer service skills, superior interpersonal skills, excellent numerical, quantitative, and organizational skills, keen attention to detail, the ability to multitask, set and reset priorities, a sense of humor, and the willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to do whatever it takes;
• Mastery of PC-based business applications software a must (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Filemaker Pro).
• Experience with Raiser’s Edge fundraising software or other database system strongly preferred;
• Persuasive short-form writing abilities;
• Familiarity with online research and communications tools;
• General nonprofit business experience helpful;
• Ability to lift 40 lbs.
This is a full-time position, working in our downtown San Francisco office, two blocks from the Montgomery Street BART/Muni station. We like to encourage a healthy work/life balance with a 37.5-hour workweek, fantastic benefits package that include four-weeks paid vacation, health, dental, and vision coverage, and more.
The terms of this job are covered under a collective bargaining agreement with Local 2103, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Mother Jones and its parent organization, the Foundation for National Progress, are committed to building and maintaining a diverse and welcoming work place.
The salary for this position is $27,000 to $30,000 per year, subject to skills, experience, and other factors.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to jobs (at) motherjones (dot) com with "Development Coordinator" in the subject line. No calls, please.