Earlier this morning I talked about Obama Derangement Syndrome and Bush Derangement Syndrome. Both involve lots of anger, but that’s about where the similarity ends. ODS is way more detached from reality, and that’s no coincidence. Bob Somerby reminds us today of the granddaddy of them all, Clinton Derangement Syndrome:
Is this attack on Obama “simply nuts?” Actually, yes — it is, quite sadly. But the last time a Democrat went to the White House, the following beliefs were widely asserted — and those beliefs were clinically crazy too….
• As governor, Bill Clinton murdered many rivals.Hillary Clinton was involved.
• As first lady, Hillary Clinton was involved in Vince Foster’s death.
• As governor, Bill Clinton trafficked drugs through Mena, Arkansas.
• Bill Clinton was himself a major coke user. It’s why his nose is so red.
• As a graduate student, Bill Clinton visited Moscow because he was a Soviet agent (or something).
• The Clintons decorated the White House Christmas tree with condoms and drug paraphernalia.
Those beliefs were also clinically insane; they were widely trumpeted and believed all through the 1990s. Indeed, one of the nation’s most famous “Christian leaders” actively pimped the lurid film which detailed the many murders. He remained a cable favorite — and a Meet the Press guest.
Good times. When it comes to being unhinged, you just can’t beat movement conservatism.