Just who is winning the War on Drugs?
- This Is Your War on Drugs
- Since 1998, the drug czar has been mandated to lie to the American people. So what would a truth-based drug policy look like?
- We Bring Fear
- A reporter flees the biggest cartel of all—the Mexican Army.
- The Altered States of America
- What a long, strange trip it's been: a drug war timeline.
- Las Baladas Prohibidas
- On the trail of Mexico's popular narcocorridos
- The Patriot's Guide to Legalization
- A teetotaler's guide to a sober drug policy
- What's Your Water Footprint?
Nice jeans. Too bad they cost the planet 2,866 gallons of precious H2O.
PLUS: It'd be easy to conserve water if it weren't so damn cheap.
- First, Do Harm
Doctors were involved in torture from the start. Can the medical profession redeem itself?
- I Love a Mark in Uniform
Why won't the government take action against the sleazebucket used car salesmen who prey on our troops?
- 42 Hours, $500, 65 Breakdowns
My weekend with the slightly spooky self-help gurus at Landmark, or how I Enrolled in the Possibility™ of a bathroom break
As a public service, Mother Jones, which is a nonprofit magazine, will release the full contents of this issue online over the next several weeks. If you'd like your Mother Jones sooner—and you want to support independent investigative journalism—please subscribe now.
- Black and White and Dead All Over
- Brenda Starr outsourced to India; from editor to topless-club manager; and other tales from America's endangered newspapers
- Can This Man Save the Planet?
- Todd Stern would have a fair shot at fixing the climate—if only the Senate would get out of his way.
Amy Benfer on the resurrection of Ayn Rand; plus more music (Those Darlins, Best Crisis Ever, Gone: The Promises of Yesterday, Coconut Rock), books (The Spiders of Allah, Belching Out the Devil, Rewilding the West), and film (Kassim the Dream, Afghan Star) reviews
- Writer Without Borders
- William T. Vollmann talks about the border, prostitutes, and why he distrusts the Internet.
- Abridged Too Far
- Long books abridged for people with short attention spans.
- Shady Business
- Are you getting burned by your sunscreen's sunny claims?
Cover illustration by Tim O'Brien